Monday, April 18, 2011

Burnt Butter Frosting -- Warning: Writers don't make this!

Yesterday my husband made me some yummy cupcakes and topped them with Burnt Butter Frosting--my favorite. Today, while I was supposed to be working, I kept sneaking into the kitchen to snitch. Finally, I broke down and just took a few with me to my computer. As I typed, I ate, and as I ate, the stickier and stickier my keyboard became. At last I gave up trying to write, poured myself a tall glass of chilled milk, and indulged. Whew. I had a hard day.

Easy Burnt Butter Frosting recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 C. butter (yes, it has to be butter NO margarine)
3-4 C. powdered sugar
2-4 Tbls. evaporated milk
1Tbl. vanilla

Instructions:
Cook butter in saucepan on stovetop until butter foams, continually stirring with a whisk. Watch VERY closely and stir as butter forms brown bits on the bottom of the pan (about 30 seconds.) This is the tricky step. If you cook it 2 seconds too long, the butter really does burn and is GROSS. You want the butter to be brown, but NOT black.

(WOW, have you noticed I'm using lost of CAPS in these instructions? It's like I'm in your kitchen yelling at you like I'm the Iron Chef or something. Weird.)

Remove butter from stovetop heat QUICKLY. (Now I'm just being silly.) Cool to room temperature and then add the other ingredients with hand mixer until smooth.

You can use this on cakes, cupcakes, and cardboard. It makes them all taste great.

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm-- I should try this with raw agave and see what happens. (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing. I've never heard of it before!
    I just found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing, Lois. I was making Easter cookies today. Totally trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lois, you make me laugh! Thanks for the recipe. By the way, is there a super specific temperature to cook this--Maybe one that would be in all caps? :)

    I'm excited try your recipe!

    --Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo, if anyone could use agave with this recipe and make it work, it would be you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Free Young Adult Novel


Spaces

Stress Management

FREE on Amazon!

Treasure Hunting Stories

Treasure Hunting Stories
Treasure Hunters: A Collection of Short Stories

Tween Book Catalog

For Teen Writers

Twitter Update

My Writing Group

About Me

My Photo

I'm a mom and author, among other things. I enjoy writing middle grade and young adult books.

Followers