Wednesday, September 8, 2010

THE CASTLE CORONA: Simply Simple


If I had only one word to describe THE CASTLE CORONA by Sharon Creech it would be "simple." It is a simple story, with a simple message, with simple characters, and a simple plot. That doesn't mean I didn't like it. In fact, I think it is a great book for the right age group. Children as young as seven would enjoy it if they are good readers. I think it would also work for reluctant readers as old as twelve, both boy and girl. For boys, however, you'll have to hide the book cover because it looks very girly. The story, however, is not.

The book is described as a "good-hearted, gently comic fairy tale." And that's exactly what it is. There is a King, a Queen, two princes, and a princess. Add two orphaned children who find a mysterious pouch with Castle Corona's symbol on it and you've got a story.

One of the book's most enjoyable aspects is its varied points of view. You get inside the heads of many of the quirky characters without feeling yanked around by the author. The main weaknesses is that the ending is pretty obvious from nearly the beginning of the book. However, younger children often like that because it makes them feel clever.

Other good books by Sharon Creech are: THE WANDERER, WALK TWO MOONS, AND GRANNY TORRELLI MAKES SOUP

2 comments:

  1. Walk Two Moons is one of my favorite books. The Wanderer is on my list to read next. This book looks cute too!

    ReplyDelete

Free Young Adult Novel


Spaces

Stress Management

FREE on Amazon!

Treasure Hunting Stories

Treasure Hunting Stories
Treasure Hunters: A Collection of Short Stories

Tween Book Catalog

For Teen Writers

Twitter Update

My Writing Group

About Me

My Photo

I'm a mom and author, among other things. I enjoy writing middle grade and young adult books.

Followers